Monday, March 14, 2011

I am about to finish my teaching degree, how do I get a job?


Something that has become apparent to me in my final semester at university is the fact no one knows what the next process is… Apparently, the academics whom are helping us gain our degree have no idea on how we actually get accredited and get a job.

Therefore, as I am learning, I will update this blog and help my friends or students who stumble on this and are looking to teach in NSW public schools.

So far I know the following steps are necessary:

YOU SHOULD HAVE OR BE ATTENDING A DET GRADUATE RECRUITMENT PROGRAM LECTURE THROUGH THE UNI IN MARCH! This should be part of the lectures for your Internship Course.  
1. Go to the NSW Instate of Teachers Website:
·         You will need to sign up for an account: On the left hand side there is blue tabs, click on the one that says ‘My account’ à click on ‘log in users’ à just below the log on button is a small blue text ‘create an account’ à click on this and fill in the prompts.
·         Once you have created your account you will need to log on using your user name and password, which should be emailed to you à click on the top blue tab which says ‘teacher’ à do the process 1.-10. Steps (statement of eligibility)
·         Once you have done this you need to send a certified copy of your birth certificate & current transcript (don’t worry if you haven’t finished your degree as long as it shows you are enrolled in all of the subjects you need to complete).
·         Once you have sent away the documents the Institute of Teachers will send you something or contact you with an accreditation number (still go onto the next step while you wait for this).
·         End section…

2.       Now you can apply through the DET Graduate Recruitment Program.
·         Select Final Year Teacher Education Students (click on the icon) à follow the prompts, remember to save at every page, before you go along. 
·         If you have your accreditation number you will be able to submit. However, I am up to this point of waiting so I am unsure of what to do next.

The following blog, by the GRP is fantastic at outlining everything you need to know. I will update this as soon as I know the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment